Best Garden Tractor buying guide
Maintaining a lawn is not easy. Most homeowners rarely have the time to dedicate to lawn maintenance and those who do have time lack the required equipment to get the job done as effectively as possible. For the smaller lawn, you will be good with a small lawn mower, but buying the best garden tractor will easily solve your equipment issues. Modern and compact, lawn tractors are designed to perform heavy-duty garden or lawn maintenance in no time. However, with the huge diversity of tractors available in the market, picking the right option can be very challenging. Scroll down to see our picks for the best riding lawn mower.
Husqvarna YTA24V48 24V Fast Continuously Variable Transmission Pedal Tractor Mower, 48″/Twin
Why You Should Buy a Lawn Tractor
The best riding mower comes with many benefits, and it’s an investment that will be well worth it in the long run. To start with, it will save you time. A riding lawnmower is incredibly easy to operate and requires less energy from you because you can now sit and drive the machine around your yard. On the other hand, the heavy-duty nature of the best garden tractors gives them the ability to work through grass or any other plants. It also enables you to do additional gardening maintenance like mulching, ridging, and edging in your lawn in a matter of minutes. You will also get to save on labor costs. Because most people rarely have the time to maintain their garden or lawn, hiring a service provider is often the best option. But with the best riding lawn mower, all you need is a few minutes of your time. Even if you are busy, this shouldn’t be a problem.
Free Gardening Glove Gift!
We're giving Two Pairs of Gardening Gloves away for FREE to our subscribers!
What to Look For As You Buy Lawn Tractors
There are a few factors you will need to consider as you search for the best riding lawn mower, And of course, you should choose the one that perfectly fits your expectations and goal. Ultimately, your goal must be to buy the best garden tractor at a budget-friendly cost.
! With that said, here are some important things to look out for:
- Heavy-Duty Design – Look for the best riding mower with strong steel built axles and frames. Some designs may come with cast iron frames, and they are good too. Strong, heavy-duty designs are highly durable and will last for a very long time.
- The Engine – Take a look at the engine’s horsepower as various lawn tractors come with different engines. However, a standard overhead valve engine should do.
- Attachment Capability – The best tractor mower will give you the option of attaching a cart for pulling. This can be a sprayer, a tiller, a dozer blade, a disc cultivator, or a snow thrower. Make sure the tractor you are buying has the ability to offer flexible and reliable attachment capabilities.
- The Fuel Capacity – It is important to understand fuel management to be able to know how much gas each lawn mower can hold in the tank. A riding lawnmower with a small fuel capacity is perfectly fine for medium-sized yards while mowers with a larger fuel tank are better suited for large properties.
- Your Budget – Although the cost should not be prioritized over quality, as you search for the best riding mower for the money, keep your budget in mind. After all, no matter how good a lawn tractor is, if it’s way beyond your budget, you cannot make the most out of it.
What Are the Best Garden Tractors in the Market?
What Are the Best Garden Tractors in the Market?
Finding the best riding mower for the money isn’t always easy. There are many options out there and many other factors you need to consider before you can get a riding lawnmower that best suits you. Different types of riding lawn mowers offer their own advantage, but at the same time, may present you with some challenges depending on what you need them for. That is why you need a riding lawn mower buying guide, which is what we hope to give you here, to help you decide what the best riding lawn mower is for you.
A riding lawnmower has many features and capabilities that need to be considered before your purchase; there are some with cruise control, some that are equipped with a v-twin engine, and others that are battery electric capable, just to name a few of those things. Whether you go for a manual transmission or not, choosing between different kinds of ride-on mowers is a tough choice and one you need to think about.
Despite the huge variety of the best tractor ride-on mowers available in the market today, there are a few machines that stand out in terms of quality, performance, and durability. Each garden tractor is unique in its own way. However, we firmly believe that the six ride-on mowers listed below will deliver exemplary service to any homeowner.
Below are 6 of the best riding mowers: The 6 Best Riding Lawn Mowers
1. Troy-Bilt 382 cc Lawn Mower review
Troy-Bilt 382 cc
The Troy-Bilt 382 cc Lawn Mower is a rear-drive riding mower that delivers outstanding performance. Although it’s deceptively simple based on how it looks, once you get it to work, you will be impressed by its power and overall efficacy. The Troy-Bilt 382 cc Lawn Mower features a 382 cc engine, a 1.3-gallon gas tank, manual power take-off, and a 30-inch cutting deck size. The power delivers a maximum forward speed of 4.25 mph with a 6-speed transmission. Although the speed is lower compared to other machines in the market, it’s still good enough to deliver a great performance.
- The Troy-Bilt 382 cc Lawn Mower has a detachable deck. This makes it easy to wash and maintain.
- The mower is highly weather resistant due to its outstanding durability
- The cutting quality is significantly better compared to other tractors. The Troy-Bilt 382 cc Lawn Mower can be used on variety of thick grass, landscapes, and obstacles.
- The blade tab is separate from the apparatus. This allows you to first master riding the tractor before you can start moving the blades.
- Some users have complained that the plastic footrest area can be slippery at times
The clutch and controls are a bit difficult to learn. It may take time some time to get used to it.
2. Poulan Pro P46ZX review
Poulan Pro P46ZX
The Poulan Pro P46ZX is one of the best garden tractors in the market at the moment. The tractor is actually a zero turn mower and this makes it ideal for covering large spaces in a short time. This mower comes with some of great features.
To start with, it features a 22 horsepower engine and 6 MPH forward speed. You also get 6 cutting height positions, an electric clutch, and a 3.5-gallon gas tank to power the tractor for hours. The Poulan Pro P46ZX also delivers a hydro-gear EZT dual-hydrostatic transmission system with a 46-inch marked resistant mowing deck. If you are looking for the best riding lawn mower that will give you full value for money, the Poulan Pro P46ZX is a perfect choice.
- Perfectly suited to cover large areas in a very short time.
- Highly reputable product – ranked as one of the best sellers.
- Compact design makes storage and usage on small lawns easier.
- The tractor also comes with a comfortable backseat making it ideal for longer jobs.
- Lower center of gravity making it stable and strong.
- Some users have complained that the performance is relatively poor on steep inclines.
- The mower uses bars instead of a steering wheel for controlling movement. It may take a while to get used to this.
3. Troy-Bilt 540cc Briggs & Stratton Lawn Mower review
Troy-Bilt 540cc Briggs & Stratton Lawn Mower review
The Troy-Bilt 540 cc Lawn Mower is a product from Troy-Bilt designed to offer convenience and performance at the same time. The mower is powered by a 19 horsepower engine that comes with an automatic transmission. The 540 cc engine is one of the most powerful in the market and is perfect for huge landscapes. The best tractor mower also has a touch steering and a very comfortable seat. You will also get a mowing deck with reverse capabilities.
The Troy-Bilt 540 cc Lawn Mower is a powerful mowing beast that can cut grass on a full acre farm in less than 20 minutes. You can’t get a better performance than this. However, even with such powerful capabilities, the Troy-Bilt 540 cc Lawn Mower can also be used for smaller lawns. It’s just that versatile!
- Perfect for any landscape including steep or inclined slopes. The mower also cuts through stronger vegetation like shrubs making it an ideal multipurpose tractor for any kind of land.
- Additional safety features for beginners. The two-deck wheels, for instance, prevent grass scalping.
- The mower also comes with a maintenance-free battery.
- Some users have complained that the steering wheel can sometimes be loose.
- The slow speed in reverse has also been an issue for some people.
4. Husqvarna 967271701 54″ 23HP Kawasaki Zero Turn Mower
Husqvarna 967271701 54″ 23HP Kawasaki Zero Turn Mower
Husqvarna 967271701 is a basic garden tractor that is only designed for light duty jobs is ideal for smaller flat lawns. The tractor comes with a 23-horsepower engine. It’s a zero turn mower that also offers air induction mowing technology, a strong and durable frame, as well as a reinforced steel deck. The built is quite strong. The Husqvarna 967271701 weighs 690 pounds but its compact design ensures storage is not a problem. The 3.5-gallon fuel tank will last you all day as the 46-inch dual blade steel deck gets the job done. For an ordinary homeowner looking for a simple garden tractor that delivers great service then, this is perhaps the best option.
- A small and simple strongly built mower that’s perfectly suited for small and uneven terrain lawns.
- The power and performance of the Husqvarna 967271701 are also quite commendable. Can be used for relatively longer grass although you must be careful not to overwork it.
- The mower offers easy handling compared to other brands making it easier to use for beginners
- The 3.5-gallon gas tank packs enough fuel for long mowing jobs
- Some users have complained that the belts start to get loose over time.
- Some people have also complained that the machine releases a pungent rubber smell if used for long hours.
5. Poulan Pro 960420182 lawn mower review
Poulan Pro 960420182 lawn mower review
The Poulan Pro 960420182 is one of the best tractor mowers from Poulan. It’s also one of the most powerful and strongest lawn tractors in the market today. Its beautiful design, powerful engine, and ease of use have made the Poulan Pro 960420182 one of the most recommended garden tractors at the moment. The tractor comes with a 15.5-horsepower engine and an auto Hydrostatic transmission system. The mower offers 6 cutting positions, a 6-inch turning radius which is good as a zero-turn mower which is useful if your lawn has a lot of obstacles like trees and tight corners, oscillating front axle, and a strongly reinforced deck for extra safety.
- The overall design of the Poulan Pro 960420182 is quite stunning. The mower is beautifully compact and very strong.
- The performance is also quite commendable even with a smaller horsepower engine. The rear wheel drive and Fast CVT transmission are all vital in enhancing overall performance.
- The tractor is very easy to use. Easing into it will take very little time. Overall handling is just so simple.
- The seat is also comfortable allowing you to mow for longer without getting tired.
- Some users have complained that the mower lacks a foot drive which is a common feature in other mowers at this price point.
- The power is not good enough for grass 5 to 6-inch tall. Any attempt to use it for such long grass may lead to clogging, stalling, and loose belts
6. Husqvarna LTA18538 38″ 18.5HP Lawn Tractor review
Husqvarna LTA18538 38″ 18.5HP Lawn Tractor review
The Husqvarna LTA18538 is designed to combine comfort and power. The mower comes with an 18.4-horsepower engine from Briggs and Stratton Intek. The engine features full pressure lube systems for cooling and longer life. You will also get a CVT automatic transmission for easy speed adjustment. The Husqvarna LTA18538 38-inch dual blade is perfect for any terrain and can easily get into tight spots and cut off the grass seamlessly. The Husqvarna LTA18538 is designed for hilly and rugged terrain. Its design specifications are ideal in such conditions. The powerful headlights on the front make it possible for you to use the tractor anytime you want.
- The powerful Briggs & Stratton 18.5-horsepower engine with CVT Automatic transmission will deliver outstanding power and performance for any job.
- Very versatile tractor. Can easily be used for hilly terrain or small flat lawns at home. Whatever you need, the Husqvarna LTA18538 will handle it.
- Very easy to handle and cuts the grass uniformly in the entire lawn.
- Some users have complained that the mower is relatively light and can easily topple if you are not careful on steep terrain.
- Tires can sometimes be overinflated from the factory when the product is shipped causing many problems for users.
Final Review of the Best Riding Lawn Mower
Buying the best riding mower requires a lot of research. Gathering as much information as possible will eventually help you make the right decision. The most important thing is to buy a garden tractor that is strong and powerful enough to meet your needs. Although the six options above are quite ideal, they are all unique and different from each other. If you are looking for something to maintain your small flat lawn, then the Husqvarna 967271501 is the best riding mower.
The Poulan Pro P46ZX is not bad either but you will need some time to learn how to handle it. For intensive heavy-duty jobs on tough and uneven terrain, the Troy-Bilt 540 cc Lawn Mower and the Husqvarna LTA18538 will come in handy. The mowers are very powerful and strongly built to tackle any terrain you throw at them. However, The Troy-Bilt 540 cc Lawn Mower is way better at this and also the best riding mower for the money.