The Best Lawn Sweepers Buying Guide 2018
Your house and garden say a lot about you. They form the first impression in the mind of all those who lay eyes on your property. This is why it is important to take as much care of the exterior of your house, including the garden, as it is to take care of the interior décor.
To make sure your garden remains in great shape and never looks too messy, equipping yourself with lawn sweepers is a must. If you know everything about lawn sweepets, then scroll down for Best Lawn Sweepers list.
What Is a Lawn Sweeper?
For those of you who have never had the chance to take care of a garden, a lawn sweeper may seem like a foreign term. This tool which is also known as a leaf sweeper is a life saver for all those who wish to maintain their garden. This lawn care machine makes clearing away all the debris in your lawn a piece of cake. You can attach lawn sweeper to your lawn tractor.
While lawn sweepers are generally used for sweeping leaves, if you invest in a quality product, you can sweep much more. A premium leaf sweeper can clear off all kinds of debris including cut grass, acorns, pine needles, and bottles.
Different models work best on different surfaces. As a rule of thumb, lawn sweepers are best for a garden which has a lot of grass. However, there are some models out there that work perfectly on concrete and tarmac as well.
Types of Lawn Sweepers
You can view lawn sweepers to be an umbrella term. This term encompasses two types of products, which include the following:
Leaf Sweeper Push
For those of you who have used a lawn mower, you will find the operation of a leaf sweeper push to be quite similar to it. All you need to do with this type of sweeper is to push it over the grass.
Leaf Sweeper Pull Behind
It is commonly known as a tow behind. The term itself is self-explanatory regarding the operation of the device. Here, the sweeper is attached to the back of a tractor and is towed across the garden.
Why Use a Lawn Sweeper?
There are various types of lawn care devices out there for you to invest in. The question then arises, why should you choose a lawn sweeper specifically? There are multiple reasons for this.
For starters, compared to leaf blowers, which performs the same function of removing debris, a lawn sweeper is much more user-friendly and undisruptive. Neither you nor your neighbors have to worry about excessive noise.
Additionally, a leaf blower tends to be a major source of air pollution. There are various countries that have banned its use due to its negative effect on the environment as well as human health. A lawn sweeper acts as a perfect alternative to it.
Moreover, a lawn sweeper is an excellent companion of a lawnmower. One of the factors that reduce the durability of a lawn mower is the fact that debris tends to get stuck in its blade. When you sweep away all the debris prior to using a lawn mower, you increase its life.
It also removes debris at a much faster and convenient way than other alternatives present. Since it collects it all in a sweeper bag, it is easier for you to get rid of the accumulated debris and add it to the compost pile.
Other benefits of using a lawn sweeper include the following:
- It takes less effort to clean and beautify your garden.
- Compared to other lawn care devices, a lawn sweeper is much safer to use.
- It makes gardening easy yet fun.
- It doesn’t take a mastermind to understand how a lawn sweeper works.
- It does not put a strain on your back, which is the case with a leaf blower.
- It is less time-consuming than opting for manual ways of removing debris.
When Should You Use a Lawn Sweeper?
A lawn sweeper may not be needed throughout the year. You might only put it to use in autumn when the trees begin to shed leaves. Another reason for using it in autumn is because the leaves that fall in this season are dry which are easier for the sweeper to clean.
A lawn sweeper can also come in handy during light snow days. You can use it to clean your driveway if your chosen lawn sweeper works on concrete surfaces. However, do not try to clean a lot of snow with it. It is effective with a maximum of ½ inch of snow. Also, a lawn sweeper can be used to clean a dirty driveway and is much more effective and less time-consuming than using a broom.
You might also find great use for a lawn sweeper if you don’t own a mulching mower. In different seasons, a lawn sweeper can then be used for bagging the grass.
How to Use a Lawn Sweeper?
Have you ever used a vacuum cleaner? If so, you can expect a lawn sweeper to operate in a similar way. Just like a vacuum cleaner, lawn sweepers make use of brushes to pick debris. This debris is then transferred to a bag called hopper. For all the novices out there, here is a step-by-step guideline on how to use a lawn sweeper:
- Remember that a lawn sweeper is not capable of picking up large items, whether it be rocks, branches or manmade objects. Therefore, to make sure that your lawn sweeper does not get stuck in huge debris, manually pick up any big rocks and branches from the area you wish to sweep.
- Now, use a lawn mower to mow the lawn. This is because a lawn sweeper yields best results when it is used on freshly mown grass. When all the grass is of the same height, it is easier for the lawn sweeper to perform its magic.
- After mowing your lawn, it is time to begin using the lawn sweeper. Depending on what type of lawn sweeper you have, push or pull it across the path. When sweeping, make sure you cover the entire area. One way of guaranteeing this is by placing the tires right after the path you just finished sweeping. Do remember to empty your hopper every time it gets full.
How to maintain lawn sweeper?
You can easily increase the durability of your lawn sweeper by taking care of it. Here are a few maintenance rules you should live by:
- Assemble the lawn sweeper properly.
- Check it properly every few months to see whether the parts are properly aligned after extended use.
- Make a habit of cleaning as well as oiling the axle joints so that they don’t rust. Also, make sure the wheels remain inflated at all times.
- Prior to using the lawn sweeper, check the brushes. If you feel they look dull and worn out, it is time to order new ones. Also, tighten them up to ensure they operate optimally.
- Empty the hopper of the lawn sweeper daily. This might mean doing so between using it. Don’t let it get filled too much or else it might get ripped.
- Tape your hopper in places you think it is vulnerable to instances of ripping.
- Clean the lawn sweeper after you use it.
- During the seasons you don’t use it much (especially the winters), clean and oil it before putting it away.
How to Choose the Best Lawn Sweeper
When you peruse the market for a quality lawn sweeper, the first realization that will dawn on you is that there are too many options to choose from. Even within each category, the choices seem to be never-ending. Each variant defers from the other regarding price, quality, and durability. How then do you ensure that you bring home the best lawn sweeper there is?
Here are a few things you should look out for in a lawn sweeper.
Analyze Your Usage
Which product will be best for you will depend on what you want to do with the lawn sweeper in the first place. Will you just use it to sweep grass? Or will you use it to clean small pinecones and acorns as well? How often would you use the lawn sweeper? Will you only use it on a grassy lawn or do you plan on operating it on flat surfaces as well?
The type of work you will do with the lawn sweeper will determine the type of product you need. For instance, if your lawn is huge and will require a lot of sweeping, a huge push sweeper would be a great choice. If you wish to use it on various surfaces, you must read lawn sweepers reviews to gauge whether your chosen product will be usable in such instances or not.
Look for Easy Maintenance
One way to assess whether or not a given lawn sweeper is worth the money is by seeing if its spare parts are easily available. Lawn sweepers tend to require frequent maintenance. If you buy a leaf sweeper whose spare parts are not available, maintaining it would be not only costly but also a huge hassle.
When selecting a lawn sweeper, it is important to prepare yourself for the worst. After all, a lawn sweeper is bound to break down during its lifetime. You should be equipped to deal with such instances. If you choose a product which is hard to repair, to begin with, you will regret your decision.
Be Careful About What You Pay for
Ensure that the price you pay for your chosen lawn sweeper is reasonable and justified. Yes, lawn sweepers are generally expensive, but even within this high-end price range, you will find that some devices are comparatively cheap, while others are premium. However, it is not guaranteed that those priced at a premium cost are high quality.
You will find that prices of lawn sweepers will vary from store to store. It is your job to compare the prices offered by different stores and outlets and pick one which gives you the best offer. Also, compare the prices of the product with the features and benefits offered. Do you feel that the price lives up to the features? If so, it might be a good choice.
Also, just like any other purchasing decision, set a budget for it. Decide how much you are willing to pay for the lawn sweeper and stick to your agreed budget. This will automatically filter out products you can’t afford and make the decision easier for you.
Top 6 Best Lawn Sweepers reviews
Are you perplexed about picking the best lawn sweeper for your garden? Are you only aware of the leaf lawn sweeper 390? Well, there are various other options out there as well. Here are six best lawn sweepers to choose from.
Agri-Fab 45 has been lauded by the masses for its durability and other value-added features. One of the best things about this product is the inclusion of a mesh back hopper. This hopper is known to fill much more completely than others before requiring a cleanup. This means you don’t have to worry about constantly emptying it and can use your time much more wisely.
Storing bulky devices like a lawn sweeper is always an inconvenience for users. This is especially true when you don’t have a huge garage. With this product, you don’t need to worry about storage since it can be folded up without the need for any tools. This makes storing it quite easy.
It is a pull-behind lawn sweeper and can be easily operated without having to constantly get off the tractor to adjust the lever. This further ensures that no excess time is wasted in sweeping the garden.
- It can mow and sweep at the same time, thereby saving you a lot of time and energy.
- It is very easy to assemble.
- The brushes are durable and don’t need frequent replacement.
- The durability of the wheels can be improved.
One of the best things about this lawn sweeper is that it is accompanied by a two-year warranty. Any lawn sweeper user would attest to the fact that these devices tend to break down a lot, so this warranty acts as an insurance against excessive repair.
When it comes to the actual product, the Brinly STS does not disappoint. The lawn sweeper is impressively quick in its operation. This is achieved by the addition of six high-speed brushes in the product. These brushes are also indexed and feature height adjustment. Together, this allows the lawn sweeper to pick up maximum debris.
It has a 42-inch sweep which allows it to cover a huge area in no time. When you add this feature to the design of the product, you are bound to be satisfied. The minimalistic design allows the sweeper to stand upright and take up very less space in storage.
- The 20-cubic-foot hopper renders the need for frequent emptying unnecessary.
- It can be easily used to sweep uneven grass.
- The pull rope of this tow-behind sweeper is ergonomically designed.
- It is difficult to put it together.
This push-behind lawn sweeper has succeeded in delivering all that matters. The size of its hopper is large enough to ensure that users don’t have to empty it often. Moreover, the brushes aid in delivering a powerful performance and in making sure that only one go at the path is enough to sweep it clean.
The brushes feature a high velocity at the tip. This allows them to exert enough force to lift semi-large objects easily as well. To cater to the need for convenience, this lawn sweeper features a design that allows it to either stand upright or be hung. Regardless of how you choose to store it, this self-storing element is bound to satisfy you.
One of the problems of most tow-behind lawn sweepers is that they are difficult to unload while remaining seated. However, with the help of the pull cord on this machine, you can conveniently unload this machine.
- It works with all types of hitches.
- It succeeds in picking up pine needles and acorns on top of the grass.
- Wheel durability is undermined by the design.
Individuals who are looking for a push lawn sweeper will find this Agri-Fab device to be an excellent choice.
One of the first things you look for in a push lawn sweeper is whether it is easy to push. With this product, you can rest assured about its ease of use. The product merely weighs 25 pounds. This lightweight design makes pushing it a piece of cake and does not put a strain on your muscles.
Moreover, the use of the quality poly material in the construction of the lawn sweeper has made it quite durable. You can expect it to last a long time and within this time, its performance is exemplary. It easily and quickly picks up all sorts of debris. However, it does face difficulties in picking up wet leaves. However, most lawn sweepers face this problem, so it is easy to overlook it.
- Not much effort is required in assembling it.
- The hopper included is collapsible.
- A three-year warranty accompanies the lawn sweeper.
- It only works on flat grassy surfaces.
The first thing you will notice about this lawn sweeper is its heavy-duty construction. The use of superior material in its assembly allows it to be highly durable, which is a quality that most people wish for in a lawn sweeper.
The design of the brushes of this sweeper is unique. The patented design includes the use of a spiral to pick up debris in an efficient manner. When you compare the performance of this brush to others in the market, you will see a noticeable difference.
Emptying the hopper is always a hassle for users, which is why Ohio Steel Sweeper comes with a rope attached to the hopper. This rope can be easily pulled which allows for quick disposal. Furthermore, many lawn sweepers tend to get clogged after prolonged usage. Ohio Steel makes sure this doesn’t happen by including a chute that has a width of 9 inches.
- It is easy to operate and assemble.
- It can be adjusted to five positions for optimum fit with an array of tractors.
- It is highly durable.
- You can’t disengage the brushes. This undermines the durability since it is all dependent on the longevity of the original brushes.
This push sweeper is not only functional but stylish as well. Rather than sporting the same old look, the Karcher lawn sweeper comes in a vibrant yellow color. Hence, you can expect your lawn sweeping task to be fun and pleasing to the eye.
With push sweepers, comfort is always an issue as using one for a prolonged time can put a strain on your arms. This product works to reduce fatigue by making the handle of the sweeper flexible and ergonomic. You can adjust the handle as per your liking to ensure that it is at an optimum height. Moreover, the same handles can be folded down which makes putting the lawn sweeper away an easy task.
It is also easy to move around since it only weighs 22 pounds. When you add the fact that it cleans five times faster than other lawn sweepers, the comfort you will experience when using this lawn sweeper is bound to get enhanced.
- The spare parts of this lawn sweeper are easy to find.
- It is manually operated.
- The design is aesthetically pleasing.
- It only covers a small area per sweep.
Among these products, we found the Agri-Fab 45-0492 to be the best in terms of price, maintenance, comfort, and performance. However, you are free to select any of the lawn sweepers mentioned above as they will all suffice in making your life easy.