What are wind chimes?
As Wikipedia says, “Wind chimes are a type of percussion instrument constructed from suspended tubes, rods, bells or other objects that are often made of metal or wood. The tubes or rods are suspended along with some type of weight or surface which the tubes or rods can strike when they or another wind-catching surface are blown by the natural movement of air outside.”
Usually, people hang wind chimes outside of a building, mainly as a visual and aural garden ornament. I like the music my wind chimes make. It makes me feel comfortable and chill.
- HANDCRAFTED - Each one of the Music of the Spheres Pentatonic wind chimes are individually handcrafted in the USA. The size(voice) mezzo is one half octave higher than the size(voice) alto.
- WEATHER-RESISTANT - Tempered aluminum alloy tubing is custom made to our exacting specifications and will never rust. Our corrosion-protective finish preserves the wind chime's appearance and increases durability in hostile outdoor environments (acid rain, salt air).
- UV STABILIZED SYNTHETIC THREAD - Tough synthetic cordage is highly resistant to abrasion, ultra-violet degradation, rot and mildew. Central tube suspension with smoothly polished tube ends prevent cord abrasion typical of other, less labor-intensive tubular wind chimes suspension techniques.
- MUSICALLY TUNED - The major pentatonic scale in root position in the key of A, it harmonizes nicely with the Aquarian. Genghis Khan conquered an empire unmatched in size, yet never heard wind chimes as lovely as these. In the mezzo and tenor sizes it contains all the notes of "Amazing Grace."
My wife, she unquestionably loves these wind chimes. She was fascinated with the sound and the fact that it was a brand of perfectly tuned wind chimes. She says that it sings to her when there is a slight breeze in the evening. That endorsement comes from a retired university music faculty member. This wind chime produces excellent sound and quality. Perfect for humid weather.
The tones on the chimes are as advertised. I even tried to put a frequency counter on them, and I was surprised – they were perfectly on a pitch. Something a musician, as my wife, would notice.
The best thing is that they came completely assembled. So I did not have to waste time assembling them. An excellent wind-powered musical instrument!
I bought one of these wind chimes to my friend too (he is a musician), and he says – I am a musician and don’t like cheap sounding wind chimes. The Music of the Spheres Pentatonic Mezzo is so beautiful. Before I hung it, I was worried about being too loud for our neighbors, but I think it’s just fine (or they like them too). I hear a lower sound than the average chime.
- Tuned to the opening notes of Also sprat Zarathustra by Richard Strauss, also known as the musical theme from 2001: A Space Odyssey
- Teak finish ash wood, 12 Silver aluminum tubes
- Length: 55'' Overall chime length is measured from top of gather ring/ knob to bottom of wind catcher
- Must be heard - special acoustic effect makes "2001" Sound like a million!
If you are looking for the best wind chime for home or garden decor, this chime is for you.
This chime has met all my expectations. It’s large, and I was worried that because of its size I would never have enough wind to get it to chime. I was wrong because it actually moves more than the other, lighter ones, I also have. And the sound is excellent. Every movement creates a peaceful, clear sound that resonates into an awesome ‘ooommm’ after-sound that seems to last endlessly. It’s the exact sounds you can hear in Tibet. These chimes keep me more peaceful and balanced.
- MUSICALLY TUNED CHIMES: Based on an ancient system known as just intonation, in which the vibrations of the different tubes are related to one another by simple whole-number ratios, producing the purest, most beautiful musical intervals; lifetime tuning guarantee
- Dimensions: measures 32-inches in overall length - total hanging length is measured from top of gather ring to bottom of wind catcher
- Expertly crafted: features a silver aluminum ring and wind catcher, 6 satin blue aluminum tubes that will not rust when exposed to the elements
- A gift they will love: suitable for indoor or outdoor decor, It makes a lovely gift for friends, neighbors and family, mother’s day, Father's Day, Christmas, Housewarming, weddings and birthdays
It has such as wonderful sound and looks. These and the larger version of chimes are apparently the best wind Chimes that Woodstock makes. They are even better than the Space Odyssey, which is the more expensive model. The best thing about this chime is the long resonance that it puts out. They sound perfectly mixed with a high sweet chime like the Large Emperor Harp Chime, which also has a deep resonance.
The sounds are so relaxing that you want to spend the day listening to them. The tones are excellent. I’m definitely endorsing them, and I’m sure you will love them.
- DIMENSIONS: Measures 24-inches in overall length - total hanging length is measured from top of gather ring to bottom of wind catcher
- EXPERTLY CRAFTED: Features an ash wood top with a beautiful cherry finish that is weather-resistant; 6 high-polish silver aluminum tubes that will not rust when exposed to the elements; removable windcatcher for easy customization
- EASY TO CUSTOMIZE: Woodstock Chimes does not offer engraving services, but the removable windcatcher can be taken to a personalization store, trophy shop, printer or jeweler to be engraved or silk-screened
- QUALITY YOU CAN TRUST: Created by Grammy award-winning musician and instrument designer Garry Kvistad, Woodstock Chimes offers a unique variety of high quality, affordable chimes, gongs, musical instruments and more that inspire, entertain and bring pleasure to people of all ages
Even the cheapest Chimes from Woodstock sound excellent with the highest quality you can ever imagine. They really make high-quality wind chimes. My friend had a Woodstock chime, and it broke last week. He bought it in 2005. 11 years of beautiful sound and quality. BUT, he called the Woodstock company; told them this sad thing, and they sent the needed pieces for repair – for free!
This chime not only sounds beautiful but is also crafted from very well-sourced materials. It’s rain resistant and rust proof. Even birds love the sound. I’m listening to this chime when I’m sad, and it makes me happier and less worried. I don’t know how they make these sounds, and I don’t really care. I think everybody needs to listen to them.
- Woodstock's bells of paradise chimes resonate longer than other windchimes, bathing you in enduring harmony every time the wind blows
- Elegant look and evocative sound of this chime brings paradise to your home or yard; tuning: c, d, f, g, bb, c
- Black powder-coated aluminum platform, clapper, and wind catcher; 6 bronze anodized aluminum chime tubes; large chime is 21-inch long
- Chime tubes vibrate at frequencies related to one another by simple whole-number ratios, producing the purest, most beautiful musical intervals
This is one of my favorites. The sound this chime makes is something I haven’t heard before. It has a lower pitch than others and tends to be more peaceful; blending into nature much better. What I meant by that is the sound is neutral. It does not distract you from work or other activities that need concentration. During summer, my country is very windy and many chimes I have had broke in one year. This is the 4th year I’ve had these chimes, and they look and sound like brand new.
How are wind chimes made?
Usually, wind chimes are made from six different parts. As you can see in this photo. (1) There is an O-Ring and the hook which is connected to the suspension cord (2). Suspension cord (2) holds top circle (3). The circle holds tubes (4) and clappers (5) and also a sail (6). The sail’s job is like a catcher. It catches the wind and moves the clappers, and when the clappers hit the tubes, the tubes make a sound.
Wind chime types.
Wikipedia also says that wind chimes have a charming history. Many cultures in ancient times used wind chimes to ward off evil spirits. All over the world, even in Rome, Japan or India they were used for the same reason. That’s very interesting because in those times, Rome did not know anything about Japan or Japan about Rome, and yet they had one beautiful ornament which they used for the same reason.
Wind chimes are made from just a few materials, and each of that has its own unique sound.
Wood wind chimes:
Wood chimes are the most popular, mostly made from bamboo because it creates different tunes which depend on tube density and other factors. Bamboo tubes can make sound tunes like soprano, mezzo, alto, tenor, and bass. Users also like the sound when the wooden tubes are clattering. Bamboo wind chimes are my favorite too because no other wind chimes make as beautiful and soothing music as bamboo ones.
[amazonjs asin=”B00012NFWC” locale=”US” title=”Woodstock Chimes of Neptune, Bronze- Encore Collection”]
Metal wind chimes
Usually made of copper, aluminum or steel. These wind chimes make sharp sounds, sometimes used to scare away unwanted guests, like mice or birds (if the wind is strong enough). Copper wind chimes will make a softer sound compared to steel.
[amazonjs asin=”B000EUCNP6″ locale=”US” title=”Woodstock Pachelbel Canon Chime, Silver- Famous Melodies Collection”]
Ceramic wind chimes:
Ceramic wind chimes usually are hung inside the house as decor. For example, if you open the door, the handle hits the chime, and it sounds. They look beautiful and produce a soothing sound that is made in a thousand figurines. They usually have short, sharp sounds and can be used as a warning that someone is opening a door.
[amazonjs asin=”B0134PP3AY” locale=”US” title=”Bits and Pieces – Indoor/outdoor Coffee Cup Chimes -Blue Ceramic Cup, Pitcher, Coffee Pot and Silverware Chime – Measures 17-3/4″ long”]
Glass wind chimes
If you like sharp, tinkling and high-pitched sounds, then a glass chime will be for you. They need to be treated very gently but will look amazing as decor inside the house.
[amazonjs asin=”B06XCQ9TSQ” locale=”US” title=”In the Breeze Rainbow Glass and Bead Wind Chime – Colorful Hanging Suncatcher – Hanging Glass Decoration”]
Other materials wind chimes
In my town, there is one lady who makes wind chimes from recyclable materials. Each one of them has an utterly different sound and all look beautiful. So it means that you can make DIY.
[amazonjs asin=”B00BJQAKV8″ locale=”US” title=”American Made Recycled Glass Bottle Wind Chime : Mountain Rain”]
One tube wind chime – There are some chimes (Koshi) which have only one tube, which is closed. They have quite a fast sound because there is less space for the tube to move so the clapper moving time is reduced.
[amazonjs asin=”B01MSZLUAY” locale=”US” title=”Koshi Terra Chime”]
What to look for when buying wind chimes?
Are these wind chimes weatherproof?
High-quality wind chimes will last forever; as long as they are appropriately treated and used how they were meant to be used. Mostly, this is the case with wooden chimes that need to be varnished (by the seller, not you). Some people re-varnish them after a couple of years, but there is a possibility that they will lose their sound quality or may sound different after. That’s why copper wind chimes are really good because they don’t need to be varnished, they don’t rust, and they will last forever. But there is a significant con about copper wind chimes – they will never sound as good as wooden chimes, and this is the reason wooden wind chimes are the most popular.
Longer tubes produce deeper and lower notes, also known as bass. Shorter tubes produce higher notes or a more high pitched noise. If you like more top notes, look for chimes with shorter tubes, but if you like full sounding wind chime notes, with a bass, then look for longer tubes.
The bigger the sail, the more wind-power it will need to move. If you don’t want your wind chimes to make a sound in small winds, then get chimes in a bigger size. But if you wish for your chimes to sound even in the slightest winds, then look for a more smaller sail. Remember that good wind chimes are quite heavy and a small sail will not make loud sounds in slight winds.
A number of tubes
More tubes mean that chimes will produce a more intricate tapestry of notes. I almost never look at the tube count because I like to hear them before I buy them and I want fewer but richer sounds than many ones but with just a kling-kling-tink-tank noise. That means I like less tube for my wind chimes.
P.S – WHEN YOU ARE LOOKING AT THE SIZE OF WIND CHIMES, REMEMBER THAT SELLERS ARE WILL PROVIDE THE SIZE. THIS SIZE MEANS THAT THEY MEASURED THE WIND CHIME FROM THE O-RING TO THE BOTTOM.
Final Thoughts On The Best Wind Chimes
I have added a video on how all best Wind chimes sound. Listen to them and choose wisely. But all I can say is – Woodstock does not make bad chimes. The higher the price, the higher the quality of sound you will get.
Or you can do it like this – buy one chime for a very affordable price (random from Amazon) and buy one from Woodstock. Then listen to them – both at the same time. You will be surprised how bad cheap ones sound.
You don’t have to be surprised that the most beautiful sounding wind chimes are more expensive. Like they usually say, you get what you pay for and if you pay less, you’re most probably not going to get the best wind chimes ever made. While you can make a DIY wind chime by using a fishing line as a string for the suspension cord, find a pipe or two (or three, or more), use a small paddle as a sail and wind catcher, find some metal parts to use as a striker and/or a top circle, then hang where you want the chime to be; the truth is, there’s nothing like a well-constructed wind chime made by professionals.
At the end of the day, it’s all up to you. You can put your money on the best wind chimes, or you can settle with a kling-kling-tink-tank noise.