Flooring is an important aspect of your home’s new appearance, feel and functionality. If you realize your budget is getting tighter in the middle of your home renovation, there are still many interesting flooring options to choose from. State PM’s team of experts thinks some of the best flooring options can be bought on a budget. Read on to find out what types of flooring they suggest.
1. Softness of Cork Floor
- PREMIUM WOOD GRAIN FOAM FLOOR TILES: Available in 24" x 24” x 3/8 inch thick interlocking EVA foam tiles. Recreate the appearance of wood grain flooring for a stylized look.
- BEAUTIFUL & VERSATILE FLOORING SOLUTION: Forest Floor Printed Foam Mats elevate any room decor with faux wood grain - perfect for the basement, garage, living room, playroom, classroom, tradeshows and more.
- CUSHIONED ANTI-FATIGUE MAT: Use over concrete, hardwood, or other hard surfaces that require more support for your joints. Reduces strain on feet, knees, and back while working in your office, kitchen, or garage.
- FOR HOME, THE OFFICE, OR GYM: Suitable for high-traffic areas and personal fitness activities, printed foam flooring tiles provide safe extra cushioning for the home office, yoga, indoor workouts, dance, and the gym.
- EASY TO ASSEMBLE: Each tile includes 2 detachable border pieces with easy-to-trim edge pieces for a customizable fit. Interlocking tiles fit together like a puzzle and assembles in minutes over any flat indoor surface.
With a price ranging from $2 to $8 per square foot, cork floors are a more affordable option than hardwood. On top of that, cork is a great insulator: warm, soft and absorbs sounds. Many homeowners who turn to sustainable living consider cork an ideal green material, as only the bark of the oak is harvested. Cork is also valued for its antimicrobial and anti-mold properties, which makes it highly suitable for kids’ bedrooms. On the other hand, since it’s a natural material, cork is known to fade in direct sunlight and change its color to yellow in time. In addition, due to its soft and mouldable nature, it may get damaged under furniture pressure points.
2. Affordable And Tough Laminate
- Just Peel 'N' Stick Look and Feel of Natural Wood Grain Extra Thick 2.0mm Gauge 10 Planks per Box - 15 Square Feet
- Just Peel 'N' Stick
- Look and Feel of Natural Wood Grain
- Extra Thick 2.0mm Gauge
- 10 Planks per Box - 15 Square Feet
While you’ll also have to pay for the installation, laminate floors are on the more affordable end of the flooring spectrum. Homeowners looking for a quick and inexpensive solution often resort to laminate due to its resemblance to real wood or tile, as well as its resistance to scratches. Just like hardwood floors, laminates are easy to clean, even with inexpensive and natural homemade cleaners. On top of that, the laminate is pet-friendly as it’s difficult to scratch and stain. It’s great for high-traffic areas such as foyers, gaming rooms, and the dining room. On the other hand, its main drawback is its weakness to standing water. Even a refrigerator leak can make it necessary to replace the floor in the kitchen – that’s why it isn’t recommended for kitchens, bathrooms, and laundry.
3. Sound of Vinyl Floor
- 12 inch x 12 inch self adhesive vinyl floor tile, easy do-it-yourself installation – just peel ‘n’ stick
- 12 inch x 12 inch tile – 1.2mm thick, 01mm wear-layer
- No wax vinyl finish
- Tiles are for indoor use
- 20 square feet per box (20 tiles per box)
A couple of hundred dollars for installation won’t break your renovation budget, even if you choose high-end vinyl for $4 or $5 per square foot. Like cork and carpet, vinyl muffles sound and it’s easy on your feet. On top of that, it’s a great choice for areas that tend to get wet, like kitchens, bathrooms and laundry rooms (where it can dampen the sound of the washing machine as well). However, although manufacturers have gone to great lengths to make it look like wood or tile, it’s still a far cry from the real thing. Vinyl dents and tears easily, and its microstructure may sometimes make it challenging to clean.
4. Game of Tiles Floor
- Can be used in any room in your home including kitchen, dining room, bedrooms, bathrooms, foyers and basements
- No messy glue or adhesives needed. Just peel and stick the tiles to a flat and dry surface for a good finish
- They have a stunning high gloss and covers upto 20 square feet
- Each tile is square shaped with a thickness of 1.2mm. Dimensions: 12 x 12 inches
- Just Peel 'N' Stick
Probably the material with the greatest price range, tiles can vary from $1 to $20 and more per square foot, while the installation is on par with vinyl, depending on the room size. Due to a list of good properties, such as durability, resistance to scratching and water, as well as ease of cleaning, glazed ceramic tiles are perfect for both high traffic areas and rooms where liquid spills are relatively common. They are homeowners’ choice for foyers, mudrooms, kitchens, bathrooms as well as dining areas. Tiles also cater to a variety of interior styles as they come in a variety of materials like marble, granite, porcelain, travertine, and slate. On the downside, tiles can be very loud when it comes to foot traffic and echoes. They can also be cold on the feet, requiring expensive underfloor heating.
5. Handy Area Rugs
- The size of the rug is 4 feet x 5.3 feet,Velvet surface and sponge interlayer have this area rugs loose and comfortable and the shaggy thickness of 1.7in/4.5cm high is suffcient for whatever angles you lie down or recline.
- The fluffy area rugs are fabricated to assure faux fur skin-friendly to family members, In particular children. Also no smell, no shed and durable usage.
- High quality and eco-friendly material feel very soft and comfortable. Rubber spots on the bottom make it anti-slip. Softest rug is a great choice for children playing on the floor and can give them warm and comfy feeling.
- Simple style, modern design, lightweight and solid color will not fade. Many color for you choose. Soft fluffy bedroom rugs adds a touch of elegance to your room, give you and kid a different vision and feeling.
- Simply vacuum with a hand-held vacuum; For a deeper clean, wipe with a damp cloth; Allow your shag rug to fully air dry before next use. The rug was packed with a vacuum bag which would makes the sponge little thinner than its original, but it will be restored 3 or 4 days later and it does not matter to its usage.
Outstandingly versatile, a large area rug can pose as an interim solution when you have removed your worn-out or damaged floor, and the subflooring is your only layer. Until you make up your mind, a beautiful jute rug will draw all the focus to the intricate pattern of its natural fibers, away from the unsightly substrate. In this case, however, make sure you make up your mind quickly, as the subflooring is not meant for walking upon. In other cases, area rugs are often used in tandem with hard surface floorings, such as hardwood, laminate or vinyl. Apart from breaking the room into different sections, they protect the flooring from heavy furniture and foot traffic as well.
6. Old, Weathered Bricks
- Achim home furnishings FTVGM33220 nexus 12-inch vinyl tile, geo brick pavers
- This is highly durable
- This product is manufactured in china
- Just Peel 'N' Stick
- Stunning high gloss
They can be salvaged from a demolition site, cleaned up and sealed against water damage. Alternatively, you can buy brick pavers that are thinner than regular bricks and more suitable for flooring purposes. Depending on the specific material you choose, they can cost between $5 and $10 per square foot. If properly maintained, these natural, fireproof materials can last for decades. However, they will wear slightly with the passing of time, giving your floor an authentic weathered look, which some people love so much. As an eco-friendly material, bricks layer well with natural fibers. The brick floor is one of the interior designers’ favorites as it lends itself to a number of popular styles.
7. Paper And Concrete Project
- Ideal for removing dandelions, thistles and other invasive weeds
- Extra-large, ergonomically designed handle with Softgrip improves control while reducing hand and wrist fatigue
- Curved head with forked tines provides plenty of leverage to easily pull the entire root free
- Cast-aluminum head resists rust for lasting value
- English (Publication Language)
Also known as paper bag floor, this option is basically an inexpensive upgrade to an existing concrete surface. The best part is that it can be a DIY project that actually looks pretty good. You need a large roll of contractor’s paper or paper grocery bags, multipurpose liquid glue, floor-grade polyurethane and a large bucket for mixing. Tear or cut the paper into large pieces and dip each one in the 50/50 glue and water mixture until saturated, then lay it into place on the floor. You can crumble each piece for a mottled look. After you cover the whole floor, let it dry for 24 hours and roll on the polyurethane as a protective coat. The cost of this floor is about 60-70 cents per square foot.
8. Ingeniously Salvaged Materials
- WOOD GRAIN FLOOR MAT (16 Tiles,16 Sq ft, Cherry) — Provides comfort and cushion to hard floor surfaces with classic faux wood finish — Includes 16 floor mat wood grain tiles to enhance the comfort and appearance of your space
- INTERLOCKING MAT WOOD PUZZLE TILES — Mats interlock with simple jigsaw puzzle connection for secure, seamless look — Can be easily expanded with additional wood flooring tiles as your living or workspace grows — Install in specific areas or wall-to-wall — Combine multiple sets to cover larger areas
- FOR HOME & BUSINESS — Fits any room décor that complement a mats wood or foam tiles wood style pattern — Ideal foam tiles for floor and multi-purpose floor mat for living room, basement, playroom, infant crawling area, interlocking exercise floor mats, yoga/meditation room, dorm, laundry room, beneath camping tents and sleeping bags — Makes a great anti fatigue mat for trade shows, conventions, office environment, gym, health care facility, daycare, classroom, and more
- COMFORTABLE & SAFE — Enjoy comfortable foam squares for hard indoor surfaces — Provides durable soft floor cushion option with foam — Easy on your feet for hours of standing — Thick cushion protects from injury — Suitable foam tiles for kids, senior living, or anyone seeking cushioned, anti-fatigue flooring
- EASY TO INSTALL — Easy do-it-yourself installation, no adhesive needed — Interlocking flooring mats wood tiles set up in just minutes — Printed Film material is OPP 100% Plastic, Mat is 100%PE — Lightweight and portable — Durable enough to withstand common foot traffic — Waterproof and non-absorbent — Easy to clean — Each tile measures approximately 12"L x 12"W
On top of being extremely cheap, salvaged materials can be surprisingly stylish. People have created their own flooring using spare change, wine corks or bottle caps. While flooring professionals most likely won’t be happy to work with salvaged materials, you can probably find someone who’s done it or is simply skilled in DIY projects. This floor literally costs nickels and dimes.
9. Hardwood Classics
- 20 Square Feet Per Carton
- Finish : Dura-Luster Urethane
Depending on the wood you choose, a hardwood floor may cost you from $3 to $12 per square foot. This option is on the pricier side, but you can save some money if you go with engineered wood. Still, the cost of the floor adds to the cost of professional installation. However, once done, hardwood floors are beautiful and have a great resale value. They are easy to clean and often need no more than vacuuming. They are best used in display areas such is the living room, which doesn’t see too much traffic, so the floor will retain its finish for a long time.
10. Cosy Carpet Floor
- 1 Box covers 48 square feet
- Great for offices, schools, daycares, exercise rooms, basements, garages, etc.
- Commercial grade
- Randomly selected colors and patterns WILL vary from those pictured
- Great price!
Carpet is another material with a very wide price range. Although some deals go up to $50, you can also find regular carpet and padding between $2 and $5 per square foot. Nevertheless, with carpets, it’s not only the design but also the quality that determines the price. Aside from feeling soft, a carpet also makes the room look soft. It muffles the walking sounds and dampens echoes. Since it needs only padding underneath, it’s a quick and cheap option, even for rooms with uneven floors. However, since its fiber can easily trap dirt, it is best used in low traffic areas such as bedrooms which always benefit from additional coziness.
For some, it will be the ease of maintenance, for others, pet-friendliness or matching style. In any case, consider these 10 ideas and find your ideal spot in the cheap-durable-beautiful triangle.