You have finally found a new hobby – gardening. You dream of owning your very own garden in your home, but you lack the space for it. A thought suddenly hits you. Why don’t you build your dream garden on your rooftop? Before you start creating your dream rooftop garden, you need careful planning and a reliable roofing contractor.
Finding the Right Roofing Contractor Can Be Tough
Your roof is your primary protection against natural elements. However, it is also one of the most exposed parts of your home. It is vulnerable to changing seasons and weather that contribute to its wear and tear.
Building a rooftop garden can be tricky; you need to consider some factors such as:
- Age. How long has it been since the roof was set up? The age of the roof is essential, as it may affect its sturdiness. If your roof is too old, you might want to consider hiring a roofing contractor to install a new one.
- Durability. You need to factor in your roof’s strength. If your roof is not durable enough, you will have difficulty installing a rooftop garden.
- Plants. You also need to consider the type of plants you plan on growing. Some plants may require less sunlight so they cannot be planted in a rooftop garden.
- Water access. There are also plants that need round-the-clock access to water, which is why you also need to factor how you are going to have access to water when you install your new garden.
If you want to build your rooftop garden, you must look for the best roofing contractor within your area. You can only enjoy your garden if it is installed correctly.
Benefits of Hiring a Roofing Contractor to Install a Rooftop Garden
Getting the services of a professional roofing contractor for your rooftop garden is much more advantageous than opting to do it yourself. Aside from having the right tools, materials, and equipment for the job, hiring a roofing contractor helps you:
Free Gardening Glove Gift!
We're giving Two Pairs of Gardening Gloves away for FREE to our subscribers!
- Lessen your costs. Getting a roofing expert is cost-effective. Since the people doing the roofing job are professionals, there is minimal to no job revisions. This helps you save on the costs of redoing the job. Also, you can save on the cost of purchase of the necessary tools if you are thinking about doing the roofing yourself.
- Quality materials. Roofing professionals are aware of the different supplies needed to install a rooftop garden. They can provide you with the highest quality materials for your project.
- Expertise. Many roofing companies have the experience of working on various kinds of roofing projects. These professionals are bound to provide you high-quality services without any mistake.
- Efficiency. Roofing contractors are knowledgeable in inspecting the quality of your roof. They can also identify any issues and their causes. Once they identified the problem, they can provide effective and efficient solutions.
- Safety. Roof repair is hazardous, especially if you do not have the experience. Professional roofing contractors have the necessary safety gear to keep their roofers safe. Rather than purchasing the safety gear for yourself, it is better to hire a roofing contractor.
- Warranty. Roofing contractors offer a guarantee for the labor and materials they used. You can relax because the project and installation are protected even after the work is already complete. If you experience any defects in your rooftop garden within a given time frame, the company will fix them without charging you anything.
Things You Can Ask When Hiring a Roofing
You may be weighing your options and comparing roofing contractors. Because they are too many, it is difficult to choose one. To narrow down your search, you need to ask them several questions:
- Are you licensed? What you want to hear is a yes. Your contractor must be licensed. Preferably, your roofing contractor should be permitted in most states. You need your contractor to have multiple licenses in various locations because different states require their license before you can do a roofing job.
- You need to research the requirements you need to fulfill, as required by the state you reside in. You must choose a roofing contractor that has a license in your state. This license must also be up-to-date.
- Does your company have a workman’s compensation insurance? Insurance is essential when it comes to a roofing contractor because it is a form of protection for the laborers. The law now requires it, but some contractors skip this requirement because insurance can be costly.
- Workers and roofers are prone to accidents, injury, and other work-related hazards. To protect yourself as well as the workers who are going to work on your rooftop garden, you should hire a contractor who has workman’s compensation insurance.
- Do you have general liability insurance? General liability insurance is a coverage for your property. This type of insurance is intended to protect the owner. In case the contractor or one of the workers accidentally damaged your property while they are performing the roofing job, they have insurance to cover the damages.
- If the contractor you hired does not have this kind of insurance coverage, you are at risk of covering for the damages caused to your home. Therefore, it is best to hire a contractor that has general liability insurance.
- Will you be removing my old roof? One of the reasons why you should ask this is that some contractors inspect roofs with their eyes and immediately give their assessment. Instead of removing the old and worn out roof, they merely put a new one over the existing one. This practice is unacceptable as directly placing the new roof will not solve the main problem.
- Your old roof might be severely damaged. If it is not taken out, you will not be able to see the other potential damages on the parts under the roof. Do not let the roofing contractor replace your roof and create a rooftop garden without taking out the old roof.
- When you create the rooftop garden, will you install a drip gutter? A drip gutter is an aluminum piece on the roof that allows water to drip away from the main installation and construction. If this material is not installed, water-related problems may occur.
- Make sure to ask your contractor about it, as some of them often skip over this process. When you hire your roofing contractor, it is best to hire one that will install a drip gutter.
- Are you going to use standoffs and ladder stabilizers so my gutters are protected while you install my roof garden? Standoffs, as well as ladder stabilizers, are essential when doing roofing jobs. They help keep your roof and gutter system together during the installation process.
- You need to ask how the contractors are planning on keeping your gutter system intact. If they cannot provide you with a concrete answer, it is best not to trust them with your rooftop garden.
- What do you do when there is inclimate weather while you are in the job? There are instances when the weather becomes unpredictable. One minute you are working in hot weather, the next minute you need to stop your work because it is already raining.
- Ask the roofing contractor about their procedures when a sudden change in the weather occurs. They should be able to cover the project area in plastic covers or tarpaulin to keep it from getting soaked.
- Do you have an address and a local number? It is essential to ask for your contractor’s business address as well as his or her contact number. You need to have these details so you can contact them in case you need to inform them of other details for the job.
- How long is the warranty for my rooftop garden? Your roofing contractor must be able to provide you with a warranty that can cover a minimum number of years. Otherwise, find another contractor who can give you a warranty.
- Will there be someone available on the site? The contractor must delegate someone to supervise the workers. He or she must also have the means to communicate with you. This way, the supervisor can update you regarding the progress of the project.
- Can you provide me with a written estimate? Even if you wish to have that dream rooftop garden, it will be impossible if you do not have a budget. Therefore, it is crucial to ask the roofing contractor if they provide estimates or quotation before the finalization of the project.
- Some contractors issue an estimate, but others do not issue unless you already choose them. It is better to ask the contractor for an estimate to be able to assess whether the construction and roofing projects are within your allocated budget.
The Bottom Line
Selecting the right roofing contractor to install your rooftop garden is a difficult task. However, it is still advisable to do your research before you make a final selection. This list of questions includes some of the most basic inquiries you need to ask your contractor before you choose them. A quick phone call to the contractor is all it takes to create a do’s and don’ts list that could help you decide which roofing company to hire. Remember, there are several roofing contractors like John Beal Roofing in St. Louis MO that can can help you install your rooftop garden.
Matt Tennant is a writer contributing pieces for John Beal Roofing in St. Louis MO. His passion for his craft allows him to be able to write unique and creative pieces for his readers. He strives to make sure his pieces are informative and entertaining, given his fascination with his topics. He likes to paint during his free time.