A knife that is looked after will have a long and fruitful life! So, what do you do to keep it well maintained? There are many myths about prolonging knife’s life! You have to sieve out the facts from the fiction. Experts know about this too well. So, they are ready to help you!
Be careful! Do not ignore expert advice! Or, be ready to lose your knife. Whether you are looking for a survival knife or pocket knife, there’s a wide variety available online. But, beware of scamming companies. Only believe the reputed and experienced stores. They have dealt with numerous types of knives, and know the best knives to fulfill your purpose.
Take Care of Your Knives & Prolong Their Life
First things first, you need to know certain aspects, before you can start taking care of your knives! Most knife enthusiasts mistake honing for sharpening! But, they are quite different from each other.
Do not Mistake Honing with Sharpening
A common mistake that many commits is between sharpening and honing. Did you commit the same mistake? Uh-oh, but no need to worry! There are many reasons for confusing the two. So, here are the major differences between the two:
Free Gardening Glove Gift!
We're giving Two Pairs of Gardening Gloves away for FREE to our subscribers!
ith prolonged use, you knife can become dull. The reasons may vary. The main two reasons are:
- The edge tends to become like a round tipped pencil. It works, but the action is not as sharp. Happened to your knife? Well, you need sharpening services for prolonging its life.
- Microscopic dents and nicks can cause irritable glitches in action. If you are experiencing any glitches, time to get your knife sharpened for prolonging its application.
The main difference of sharpening with honing is the reason for the dullness. The knife seems dull when in reality it is another problem. Sharpening is needed when the knife actually loses sharpness and becomes dull. Honing is needed when you get a “false positive” result. The sharp edge can be compared to a thin piece of paper! Heard of paper cuts? Can they be savage right? Well, the reason is that thin paper can actually be sharp, but if folded over they lose the sharpness. The same thing may happen to knife’s sharp edge. This gives the knife a dull feel. All you need to do is honing steel. It just smoothes out the edge, without shaving off any steel. This means that honing prolongs the life of your knives.
Hope your confusion has been solved. Now, let’s get back to taking better care of your knives. The experts say it is easy; once you know the methods.
Tips for Taking Proper Care of Knives
A Clean & Dry Blade:
Do you knife have high contents of carbon? Then, they are more susceptible to erosion and rust. A rusted knife is of no use! So, it is best to make sure that your knife is cleaned after usage. Then the knife must be dried off completely before storage. Oh, by the way, suppose you cut an apple, always wipe it off after each application. You might not have water at hand. So, a simple wipe off can work for the time being. Even if you do forget to wash it later, the knife will not be completely lost!
Apply a thin coat of Oil over the Blade:
Regular oiling of the knife blade is crucial to improving the life of the knife. Did you know that oiling can be an effective way of reducing chances of corroding the blade? If you experienced any of the following problems, then your knife is calling for an oiling session:
- If you have any problem with opening and closing the knife, an oiling session is needed ASAP.
- In the UK, a pocket knife can rust easily due to the damp weather (in certain areas). So, if the knife develops a grinding action, an oiling session is a must.
Do Not Abuse your Knife:
How can you abuse a knife? Are you thinking like that? Well, anyone can! There are numerous ways you can abuse your knife:
- Use the knife for an inappropriate task: Do you use a butter knife for cutting meat? No! It will neither serve your purpose nor will it complete the job! So, why do that?! Some people cut thick plastic cords with a small pocket knife, but that is the job of a larger knife. Make sure you know the capacity of the knife you are going to use!
- Using knives on unsuitable surfaces: Many people cut veggies or fruits on marble kitchen tops! This is also an abuse of the knife. Always use a wooden or at least plastic board for cutting veggies, fruits, and meat! This will protect your knife from any damage.
Some people just throw all their together in a drawer! This is not a crime, but a sin. You knives can lose their sharp edge forever. So, make sure that you store your knives properly. Here are some of the proper storage solutions:
- Separate Drawer with Compartments: Always build a separate drawer for your knife collection. Add compartments to the drawers, so that the knives do not strike each other. This can cause the knives to become dull.
- Knife Sheath: It is always a good idea to store your knives in a sheath, suggests Perkin, a reputed knife supplier in the UK. A good quality sheath can protect the knife’s edge from various environmental factors! There are so many types of knife sheath including leather and plastic. If you ask around, you will find that Kydex sheath is the best for storing your knives.
A knife that is well maintained and taken care of will stay sharp for a longer time. But when the ravages of time take over, then you need to know how to sharpen it! Well, here is how:
If you want to prolong the life of your knives, you must keep them sharp. A knife that is ignored even after losing its sharpness will ultimately be rendered useless. Would you hang onto a useless knife? Never! So prolonging a knife’s life includes keeping it sharp! How do you achieve that? Well, here are some tips:
- Using an Electric Sharpener: Just remember that the electric sharpener is the fastest method of sharpening! But, it is also the method that shaves off maximum steel. All you need is a top-notch electric sharpener.
- Using a Whetstone: This method might seem orthodox and slow, but it is more effective, since it prevents losing steel! Use this method to sharpen knives and keep using them for a long time.
You should always know when the knife needs to be sharpened! Over time, you will have to get your knives sharpened, all that matters is how long you can put it off. This will dictate how long you can keep using your knife/knives! Show it some love and it will work wonders for you![amazonjs asin=”B079WWFZY6″ locale=”US” title=”Kitchen Knife Sharpener – 3-Stage Knife Sharpening Tool Helps Repair, Restore and Polish Blades – Cut-Resistant Glove Included”]
Every part of your body needs TLC! That is what keeps you going and looking amazing, right? Why should a knife be any different? Think of your knife like a person! As it grows old, the knife will start to lose its beauty (sharpness). You then need the better care of the blade. A well-maintained knife will always keep looking good for many years. It might even have the ability to be passed down generations! So, a knife (if taken care of properly) is more of an asset, than a purchase!