Ever felt confused over the overwhelming task of house cleaning? It is very common for first time hostel stayers/college goers. Cleaning your home isn’t an easy task. It requires a lot of physical strength to get over it.
Why choose to clean your home?
Home is where your true self stays. It is a part of taking care of yourself.
Clean your home because:
- Hygiene check- imagine having untidy rooms, dusty floor, smelly bathrooms, sticky and oily kitchen, stained walls, unwashed/un-ironed clothes everywhere. Will you be able to stay in that apartment for more than a week? We don’t think so. This is why cleanliness is important. Germs and illness will be at bay. A clean house is refreshing for the mind too.
- Exercise- treat these tasks as an exercise. Your body needs activity, and this is a perfect way to stay fit. Tasks like washing the clothes, drying and ironing it are physically demanding. Dusting the house, reorganizing the closet, cleaning the trash, bathroom work are all time consuming but healthy for you. So you have a spotless home and a fit body together!
- Learn- home cleaning will give you knowledge about several other things. Sharing the task is one of them. If you stay with your roommates, you will learn to distribute work and keep alternating. Planning and executing will be at its peak. Even if you stay alone, you will know how to prioritize the tasks. Groceries, stock keeping, washing clothes, etc. Will keep you occupied as well.
Every night, make a list of all tasks for the next day. It will be easier for college goers as the work is already sorted out beforehand.
Tips for home cleaning (group stay)
Create a roster- everyone should take part in house leaning. Hence, creating a roster is the best idea. This will give equal opportunities for all to the same chores alternately or as you plan. A daily or weekly chart on an excel sheet is the best. Put all the chores and names for full clarity. This process is fun but can be equally complex too. If one falls ill others must have the respect to help each other out.
- Make your own beds- this is the first task after you get up. Making your own bed will create a lot of difference in your life. Every individual must make their own bed. It helps you stay organized.
- Clean the spill- any spillage must be cleaned immediately. This is because once it dries, the stains become difficult to remove. It’s always better to have it spotless clean rather than procrastinating about it. Spilled tea? Sweep it out immediately. There are many substances that are better cleaned at that time.
- Wash dishes- take turns to wash dishes, dry and keep them in place. You can also work in groups, for example- one person washes the dishes, other dries it and the third puts them in place. Your work will finish faster this way.
- Vacuum or dust- no one likes a dusty place. Every alternate or once in two days, you can dust and vacuum your house as necessary.
- The toilet- all of you are sharing the same toilet. It is necessary for you to keep it shining and hygienic. Regimental cleaning is essential if you don’t want to fall sick.
- Garbage clean-up- take turns to throw away garbage. It’s best to keep it in front of your apartment or outside the building. The garbage collector will do the rest.
- Clothes washing- make a rule of unloading the washed clothes as soon as the machine finishes its task. You don’t want to damage your machine.
- Refrigerator- the person in-charge for cleaning up should be given the full liberty to throw away leftovers. No questions asked. Do it weekly or monthly as suitable.
- Microwave- once in a month or two, have a habit to clean the microwave. Food dirt and oil creates a greasy texture inside which isn’t good.
- Bathroom essentials- have multiple towels, pot cleaning brush, room fresheners and other essentials handy. Clean the bathroom, especially the pot every week.
- Bed sheets and pillow covers- change them often. It is important to sleep on a clean bed.
- Organize your desk and keep it tidy. Your study station makes a lot of difference in your study habits.
- Kitchen floors and sink- unless you have hired a house help, this has to be done by you every month.
- Curtain wash- give away curtains for a wash every six months. They contain dust beyond your imagination. The same goes for doormats and carpets.
Not everyone is perfect. You may find certain roommates who don’t do their work properly or create excuses. Confront such situation even if you are not a fan of it. Communicate politely and give proofs. It is important that every person contributes equally no matter how good friends you are.
If it still doesn’t work out with them, consider just doing the basic cleaning. This will help create lesser negative energy and more time to have fun/study.
Home cleaning tips (single stay)
Students who stay alone have to put extra effort to keep up with the clean-up process. They need to look after every aspect of house cleaning. Living alone creates higher procrastination levels. It’s because the place is all to yourself. You don’t have anything to worry about. But whether you’re living solo or together, hygiene comes first. A tidy place is also good for the mind.
Since you’re living alone, try to create daily plans instead of weekly. Weekends are for fun, studying and relaxing. Hence, leaving minimum work for those days is better.
Some natural essentials for your home
The following are useful things that are easily available at home. You may not have to spend that extra money on chemical products. If you need to write an essay about home cleaning you can use Pro-Papers service.
These are a few things that will help scrub of the toughest scum.
If you want take that extra step, make natural air fresheners. Many recipes are available online these days.[amazonjs asin=”B00DSUNWPE” locale=”US” title=”Natural Flower Power – Natural Air Fresheners Variety Pack (Citrus & Spice, Lavender and Lemongrass), 4 Ounce (3 Pack)”]
Some easy cleaning hacks
- Old toothbrush- use it to clean the laptop screen, keypad for dirt and dust.
- Old pair of socks- use it to dust your place. Just turn it inside out, put in your hands and start. No need to spend extra on a flimsy feather duster.
- Shower squeegee- use it to remove a pile of hair. You will be surprised at it’s such magic.
- Lime juice- need to clean the layer of dirt from that faucet? Use the juicy part of the lemon to get a squeaky clean look. The faucet will be good as new.
- Vinegar and water- messy microwave? Fill a bowl of water and vinegar in the oven. Switch on the microwave for 10 to 15 minutes until the water evaporates. This will loosen the texture of the food stain inside due to moisture. Now swipe it with a cloth and your oven will be spotless.
- Baking soda and water- to remove carpet stain, use this mixture.
- Dryer sheets- if you are in a hurry and the room smells awful use these sheets. Tape it over the A.C and see how the smell transforms.