As more information becomes available about energy use in the U.S., it’s apparent that we need to do something to reduce energy waste. By adopting better energy usage policies, we can reduce carbon pollution, mitigate greenhouse gas emissions, and lower energy bills. Let’s look at ten simple ways consumers and businesses can cut energy costs and, in turn, help protect our planet.
10 Tips To Cutting Energy Costs
1. Switch to Eco-Friendly Power Companies
- Works with Alexa for voice control (Alexa device sold separately)
- Control from anywhere. Plug in a WeMo Insight smart plug, download the WeMo app, and control your lights and appliances right from your phone and even your voice through Amazon Alexa and Google assistant. No hub or subscription required
- Works with voice. WeMo pairs with Amazon Alexa and Google assistant so you can control your home with the power of your voice
- Monitor energy costs right from your phone or tablet. This smart plug provides real-time reports on how much energy your devices are consuming. Use the smart plug to monitor how much a space heater is costing you, or how much energy A particular room consumes
- Protects your home better than a mechanical timer. With “away Mode”, your lights will turn on and off randomly to confuse potential intruders and make it look like somebody is home
One thing we can do to cut energy costs is to contact an energy broker. Energy brokers work with power companies on your behalf to find cheaper energy rates, as well as service plans that are ideal for your wants and needs. They can also help you find eco-friendly energy providers that are committed to supporting the environment.
Because states like Texas allow you to choose which energy provider you want, you have the autonomy to select the provider that gives you the cheapest Texas electric rates. Contact an energy broker to explore the possibilities for your household or business. You might be surprised at what kind of deals are available. In addition, many brokers offer their services free of charge. They are paid a fee by the energy company that adds you as a new customer.
2. Only Keep Lights on When You Need Them
- Hub Required(Sold Separately): Sengled smart light bulbs are compatible with Amazon Echo built-in hub, SmartThings, Wink, Hubitat or Sengled Hub. Sengled smart hub needs to be connected to your home router with an Ethernet cable. Not compatible with Philips Hue bridge system.
- More Stable Connection: This Sengled smart led light bulb just supports Zigbee protocol. Connect to the internet via Ethernet cable, compatible with 2.4 or 5 GHz routers, provide a more stable connection. Suitable for most smart devices with the built-in Hub(Zigbee protocol).
- Voice & Group Control: This Sengled smart bulb can be controlled by voice with Alexa, Echo, Google Home Assistant, which helps you to control this soft white bulb hand-free to turn on/off or dim/brighten your light. Even adds up to 64 smart bulbs to the Smart Hub system.
- Dimmable & Remote Control: Even you are not home, you can schedule this dimmable led bulb to switch on/off or the brightness from 1% to 100% by using our Sengled Smart Home APP. You can also set a countdown timer, like setting lights to come on at dusk or turn off at sunrise.
- Energy Saving and Easy to Install: This Sengled led light bulb 60-watt equivalent can save up to 80% energy. Adapted to any standard E26 light socket. Perfect for home indoor lighting, hotel, meeting room, museum, restaurants, bar, cafe, holiday decoration, birthday party.
It may seem like a no-brainer, but you might be surprised how much energy is wasted by leaving lights on when they aren’t needed. According to the EPA, about 40% of the energy usage in the U.S. is used to generate electricity. This makes electricity use an important part of each person’s environmental footprint. That’s why we should ensure that our electricity usage is put toward actual use, as opposed to letting lights remain on when no one is in the room or building.
When we leave lights on in an empty room, we waste energy production that creates carbon pollution and drives up our electricity expenses. A good rule of thumb is to turn off lights when we leave the house or go to bed. By doing so, we can shave a significant amount from our electric bill and become less wasteful of energy simultaneously. It’s a win-win situation for the environment and your electric bill.
3. Switch to Energy Efficient Light Bulbs
- Energy efficient: Philips LED Non Dimmable A19 Frosted Light Bulbs uses 80 percent less energy than 60 Watt Incandescent Bulbs while maintaining the look and feel of a classic light bulb
- Long lasting: These Philips LED bulbs last 10x longer than incandescent and halogen bulbs; Each light bulb is expected to deliver a lifetime of up to 10,950 hours and 10 years of light (based on 3 hours per day), saving you the cost of frequent bulb replacement
- Soft White: Philips LED Non Dimmable A19 light bulbs offer warm and comfortable lighting with high CRI (color rendering index); At 2700 Kelvin the bulbs deliver bright, crisp color ideal for whole room ambient light as well as in area lamps
- Eco Friendly: Mercury free and uses 80 percent less energy than 60 Watt Incandescent Bulbs
- Compatibility: These Philips LED light bulbs fit in E26 medium screw base; Not compatible with Philips HUE products; Philips LED Non Dimmable A19 light bulbs are for non connected use only
Using energy-efficient light bulbs is another easy way to cut energy costs and help preserve the environment. For example, switching to LED bulbs in your home or building can dramatically reduce energy usage and provide the same level of illumination as incandescent bulbs.
In fact, according to Energy Star, LED and Energy Star approved bulbs use approximately 70-90% less energy than traditional incandescent bulbs. They also last at least 15 times longer than traditional incandescent lighting, saving you about $80 in electricity costs over the lifespan of a single light bulb. Another fact worth mentioning about energy-efficient bulbs is that they produce about 70-90% less heat than incandescents. On top of cutting electricity costs, you can save money on cooling costs in warm weather.
Try using LED bulbs or other energy-efficient bulbs for a few months, then compare your current electric bill to the previous ones. LED bulbs may cost more than incandescent bulbs, but the investment is worth every penny, considering the money that you can save on your electric bill.
4. Unplug Small Appliances at End of Day
- 【CHARGE FOR ALL】- 3AC outlets and 4 smart USB ports desktop power outlet charge for electric devices, It support 7 electric devices simultaneously, like cell phones, Pad, laptops, lamp,cameras and many other devices.
- 【FAST & SMART CHARGING】- 4 USB charging ports total 4.5A. Build in smart charging technology, This charging station can auto-detect your devices and seek to maximize the fastest possible charge speed( 5V/2.4 Max Each Port ).
- 【Cruise Ship Travel/Home Must Have】- Comes with NO SURGE PROTECTION , it's absolutely a must have Home and Cruise Ship accessories as Cruise lines require that power strips DO NOT have Surge Protection. Compact and lightweight, easy to carry and best for travel.
- 【Convenient & Portable】- 5 Ft upgraded flat braided extension cord makes it more flexible, get easy access to place that's hard to reach, extend the portable power strip to table or other place easily where need power outlets or usb charging ports simultaneously , you still can play your iPad or video game when charging.
- 【What Your Get & Multi Protection】- You will get 12-month worry-free, and friendly customer service. Our power strip also are certified by ROHs, high-quality components, 1382℉ fireproof, the power strip can prevent your electric devices from over-current/over-charge/short circuit/over-heated.
Another simple way to cut energy costs is by unplugging certain products overnight, or after we’re done using them. Simply “turning off” an appliance or other plug-in products isn’t enough in some cases. With today’s technology, many appliances and products use “idle power”, even when they are powered off and not in use.
According to a Harvard University study, the total amount of electricity consumed by idle electronics in the U.S. annually is equal to the annual output of 12 fully operational power plants. That’s a significant amount of energy to waste in the form of appliances left plugged in.
“Idle power” products include desktop computers, laptops, televisions, cable boxes, stereos, coffee makers, and toasters. Simply unplugging the appliances after you’ve used them will help you see a meaningful reduction in your monthly electricity cost. However, unplugging each appliance at night and after use can become time-consuming. Luckily, there’s a quick and easy way to disconnect these products altogether.
To make unplugging appliances easier, connect them to power strips. According to the same Harvard University study mentioned above, flipping the switch on a power strip has the same effect as unplugging each appliance from the socket in the wall, preventing phantom energy usage. Try grouping similar appliances with one another on a power strip (examples: coffee makers and toasters). That way, you won’t forget to turn them off individually after using them.
5. Switch to Energy Efficient Appliances
- This refurbished product is tested and certified to look and work like new. The refurbishing process includes functionality testing, basic cleaning, inspection, and repackaging. The product ships with all relevant accessories, and may arrive in a generic box
We can also cut energy costs in homes and buildings by purchasing energy-efficient appliances through Energy Star. For example, according to Energy Star, if you use a dishwasher made before 1994, you’re paying an extra $35 a year in utility expense compared to using a newer Energy Star model. There are dozens of different energy-efficient appliances available for purchase on Energy Star’s website.
6. Install Energy Efficient Doors and Windows
- Unique Design: Sold per set including 2 panels. Each panel measures: 26" x 68". Patented type ensure the functional over fashionable. With the straps attached, you can tie up for sightseeing or tie down for full privacy. Perfect for glass door on entry or any other place
- Innovated Material: Crafted from microfiber, super soft, silky and velvety, triple interwoven technology provide the high feature on thermal insulated and blackout, economical price with great value, medial weight is simple, bring a casual modern style to your room decor
- Light Blocking and Noise Reducing: Just right weight, solid pattern, simple element will easily mix with your existing americal interior room styles, excellent performance on light blocking, keep back UV ray, reduces about 40% noises, turn these fabric panels to be your home guard
- Effortless Installation: Just follow our instruction paper, clean the glass surface, put the velcro stick band on the glass, and joint together with the magic stick place on door curtain panel, firmly and strong, bring warmth to your home, enjoy the privacy time with your sweet family
- Easy Care: Machine washable for easy care, use only non-chlorine bleach when needed. Tumble dry low and warm iron as needed. And if you have any enquiries or suggestions, please feel free to contact us, we will provide friendly, easy-to-reach support
Older doors and windows may be aesthetically appealing, but they often have air leaks that allow warm or cold air from outside to enter your home or building. This can potentially drive up the cost of heating and cooling bills. In order to save on energy costs in the long run, it’s worth making an investment in doors and windows that are energy efficient. Doing so may also increase the real estate value of your property.
To see which doors and windows will provide the most energy savings, consult this energy performance chart provided by the Department of Energy.
7. Apply Weather Stripping to Older Doors and Windows
- Size:This weather stripping comes with 2 seals, total 16 feet (2.5 meters x 2).Width: 9 mm, thickness (division size): The corresponding 6 mm gap size is approximately 3.5 mm to 5 mm.
- Note: This tape is attached to the center of the center and is divided into two 9 mm wide tapes when centered in the vertical direction. Please tear it vertically before working.
- 100 Brand new and High quality:Equably Foamed by EPDM, Same smooth interior and exterior, Excellent Flexibility, High Resilience, Super Durable UNIQUE GRID ADHESIVE BACKING - Stick Firmly, give your doors and windows long time
- Wide Application :Widely used in all kinds of sliding window, sliding door, security door, closet door and etc, reduce damage of your doors and windows.
- Usage&application :Our window door seal strip comes with adhesive, and it can be cropped according to your actual doors and windows size.
Having a leak in an older door or window can be frustrating and expensive. To compensate for unwanted cold or hot air entering your home or building, you’re forced to crank up your heat or AC units, resulting in more money spent. If installing new doors and windows isn’t in your budget right now, applying weather stripping to doors and windows is the next best thing.
By applying weather stripping to older doors and windows, you can save a significant amount of money on heating and cooling. In fact, according to the Department of Energy, air sealing an old, drafty home can cut heating and cooling costs by 20%. That’s ⅕ of your monthly bill taken off by simply weather stripping old doors and windows that produce drafts.
There are various types of weatherstripping available that differ in terms of application. More specifically, there are types of strips made for different types of weather, different temperatures, and the wear and tear particular doors and windows receive. Check out this chart provided by the Department of Energy to see which type of weather stripping best meets your needs.
8. Seal Gaps In Your Structure That Let Air In
- THE GAP AND CRACK ATTACKER! Reduce drafts and save energy
- Comes with NEW SMART DISPENSER Straw
- No drips, less mess - foam stops where you stop
- Reusable for up to 30 days - use again and again
- Precise, greater control
Weather stripping isn’t the only way to seal gaps around your home or building. There are other materials you can use for situations that aren’t suited for weather-stripping. For example, you can use fiberglass insulation to seal stud cavities that are left open in your attic. Before installing the insulation, stuff it into plastic garbage bags to help block airflow from entering your structure.
9. Replace Old, Deteriorating Insulation
- Use For Insulating, Cushioning, And Noise Dampening
- Safe Alternative - No Gloves, Face Mask, Or Goggles Needed
- Cut Or Rip To Fit Pipes And Ducts, Walls, And Much More
- Brand Name: Frost King
Insulation is one of the best lines of defense for keeping cold or warm air from escaping your home or building. In fact, according to Energy Star, proper insulation can make your heating and cooling systems run 20% more efficiently. However, if the material is old or damaged, it provides a poor defense against outside temperatures.
If the upper levels of your structure are too cold in the winter or too warm in the summer, it’s time to take a look at your insulation. Make sure to do so before your energy bills start to climb and financially force you to consider a new insulation solution. There are several types of insulation. Contact a licensed installer for guidance on choosing the best kind for your structure.
10. Turn Off Heating and AC When You’re Away
- ✓ VERSATILE & CUSTOMIZABLE: Easily set up to 8 on/off programs for the timer’s two grounded outlets. Outlets are controlled simultaneously, and settings can be as short as one minute.
- ✓ JUST SET & GO: Choose your own individual days or simply select one of the convenient pre-set combination days. Switch to Daylight Savings mode with a press of a button. Our long-lasting backup battery keeps your settings even in the event of a power outage.
- ✓ PROTECT YOUR HOME: Activate the “Random” Vacation mode to randomize your programmed lights. Make your home look “lived in” even when you’re away.
- ✓ SAVE ENERGY & MONEY: Save costs on electricity. Use for lights, coffee machines, fans, and much more!
- ✓ SAFE & RELIABLE: This timer is UL listed and rigorously controlled for quality and safety. Rating: 115V, 60 Hz, 15A/1725W
Another way to save on heating and cooling costs is by turning off your furnace or AC when you’re away from your home or building. Running these systems constantly can consume lots of unnecessary energy.
If you’re leaving your home or building in summer and are worried about the temperature of the structure when you return, keep a few of your windows slightly ajar to create airflow through the structure. Generating airflow can cool down your home or building a few degrees and make it more comfortable when you return.